The Sid Williams Theatre Society (SWTS) takes pride in respecting and safeguarding the privacy of our patrons and members. We have strengthened our commitment to protecting personal information as a result of British Columbia's Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA). PIPA, which came into effect on January 1, 2004, sets out the ground rules for how B.C. businesses and not-for-profit organizations may collect, use, and disclose personal information.
Patron information is the information that we obtain in order to identify you as our patron and/or member of the SWTS. We will only collect information that is necessary in providing the following:
- To verify patron identity (e.g. name and phone number)
- To deliver requested products and services (e.g. mailing tickets, adhering to patron preferences)
- To provide patrons with theatre and event/performance information (including by email)
- To ensure SWTS members receive the full benefits of their membership
- To notify tickets holders if an event changes (date or time) or is cancelled
- To comply with security regulations based on reducing fraud in credit card purchases
- To establish patron demographical reports for fundraising or marketing purposes
- To better serve the theatre's presenters and patrons
- To help us fulfill our mandate
Patrons may at any time decline to provide some or all of the information requested, or may request to have their patron records amended to remove information. We will diligently and promptly comply with all such requests. Patrons are advised that this may limit the services we are able to provide.
Using and Sharing Information
The SWTS does not sell patron information. The SWTS may however be required to provide information to outside parties in the following cases:
- when the collection, use or disclosure of information is allowed or required by law (i.e. authorized by police, fire department, government, legal document); and
- in an emergency that threatens an individual's life, health, or security.
Ensuring Accuracy of Information
If a patron's information appears to be inaccurate or incomplete, we will correct the information as required upon notification. Any other relevant information will be recorded in the patron's file (e.g. phone messages left, special seating requests, tickets not picked up, authorization for credit card information to remain on file).
We are committed to ensuring the security of our patrons' information in order to protect it from unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal, or other similar risks.
We will employ security measures that are appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. These security measures include: locking filing cabinets containing hard copies of patron lists or pre-printed tickets; password, data encryption, and firewall protection of information that is electronically stored.
The SWTS staff receive training in relation to all of our policies and procedures for protecting patron information. In some cases, we have volunteers utilize phone lists to contact patrons. All volunteers at the SWTS are required to abide by our policies and procedures. SWTS staff and volunteers are required to provide a clear criminal record check upon commencement of employment.
We continually review and update our security policies and procedures to ensure ongoing privacy of patron information.
Human resources related personal information (regarding staff and volunteers) will be handled in accordance with this policy.
Providing Patrons Access to Recorded Information
At any time patrons have the right to request any information we have recorded in their patron file. However, this request must be made in writing and provide sufficient detail to identify the information being sought. The SWTS has thirty (30) business days to provide you with this information.
Your request should be submitted to the following address:
Sid Williams Theatre Society
442 Cliffe Avenue
Attn: Privacy Officer